Most functions needed for a SDI come right out of the box through the close integration of Drupal with PostGIS and GeoServer. The main features of Cartaro are:
- Spatial data storage with true geometry data types
- Creation of data types from within the Drupal GUI
- Integrated online editing of geospatial data
- Data publishing with integrated maps
- Configuration of map layouts and behaviors
- Symbol styling
- Data publishing through OGC standards-compliant web services (OWS) like WMS and WFS
- High performance map output through GeoWebCache
- Transparent privilege handling and security for all spatial data
- Content publication workflow and revision moderation
- Basic metadata collection through access to GeoServer-GUI
- Full extensibility through thousands of Drupal modules or individual programming
The PostGIS module is used for persistence of all spatial data in your Drupal site. With the extension PostGIS spatial data are stored as true geometric data types like POINT, LINE, POLYGON and more. This allows for high performance spatial queries and analyses and guarantees data integrity through a whole range of possible spatial validations.
OGC Web Services
Access to geospatial data in Cartaro is handled by GeoServer. GeoServer queries the PostGIS database and publishes images or vector data. Through the GeoServer module Cartaro supports the main web services defined by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC). This means your site can deliver its data e.g. as Web Map Service (WMS) or Web Feature Service (WFS).